Who We Are
EMpower - The Emerging Markets Foundation is a global philanthropic foundation focused on marginalized youth in emerging market countries.
Your support means more than ever. The most vulnerable and marginalized have been hit hardest by COVID-19.
We partner with local, community-based organizations in 15 EM countries that enable young people’s successful transition into productive, healthy adulthood, developing the next generation of leaders.
Our Underwriters cover our operational costs. That means:
- NO fundraising costs – you don’t pay the salaries of the people who ask you for money
- NO overheads, such as buildings and rent
- NO administration costs, such as finance, HR and our Chief Executive.
So you can be sure that 100% of your donation is spent where it’s needed most.
Learn more about our work on our website.
Stories of Change
Our impact is seen in young people’s personal stories, and in our partners’ organizational growth and development. And, more broadly, we see change in the communities, countries and regions where empowered youth and our partners are making a difference.
What EMpower means to our supporters
EMpower has a community of nearly 10,000 supporters worldwide. A few members of our community told us what EMpower means to them and what it's like visiting our grantee partners.
EMpower and COVID
in Latin America
Young people are some of the hardest hit by the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Social distancing is challenging, if not impossible, in dense communities like the favelas in Brazil
- Students have limited access to education
- Many families cannot afford clean, running water, food, and basic household necessities like soap
- Sexual and domestic violence has increased as a result of schools and youth programs being closed.
With 18 grantee partners in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru, EMpower provides support to these communities through locally-led solutions.
Karen is a participant in Fundacion Alvaralice, an EMpower grantee partner in Colombia since 2018.